Thursday, November 8, 2007

Poodleful and Her Nanny



Today's post, which was originally going to be about ironing (I will return to The Art of Ironing for the Modern Woman--don't worry) caused me to start thinking about my maternal grandmother, my Nanny. My Nanny is the ORIGINAL Martha Stewart--but more sophisticated. She is a housewife extraordinaire, not only were my mother and her sister's nightgowns, sheets and underwear always ironed, their whole wardrobes were all handmade by her.


She is a whiz at all kinds of crafts--she had extensive experience with floral arrangements, interior design and gardening in addition to her sewing skills. Additionally she is a woman of letters, she and my grandfather loved to read to one another, and she has an envious book collection. She is always up to date on current events and I think the only bone I have to pick with her is her great affection for the Republican party. My husband always swears that it is a historical difference of ours, and that if she had to rechoose today, she would be a democrat. I don't know...unfortch she is pretty committed to even the most reprehensible Republicans.

Anyway, I am so grateful to have her love and influence in my life. I still feel guilty for telling her that I didn't like the way that she wallpapered her bathroom when I was a little girl--she essentially decoupaged the walls with many many scraps of different wallpapers (she didn't care if I didn't like it..she was probably even relieved, Margaret, while beautiful and charming is not my advisor for matters of taste).

No comments: