Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Menagerie

I am sitting here in my office watching the snow swirl around the twenty-fourth floor. It is lovely. So, what is Poodleful making for Thanksgiving?

A rib roast, yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, some other vegetable...not sure yet, pumpkin pie, apple tart, and something for my lovely vegetarian stepdaughter.

"Why no turkey, hater?" you may be saying. For me, if I am to celebrate a holiday about eating, I want to eat something that I enjoy, and turkey is not at the top of my list, maybe it is an appropriate diet food, but not something that I want to indulge in. I honestly feel the same way about pumpkin pie, but Clancy LOVES it, so I guess I have to make it. If it was up to me I would make these cupcakes, which are delicious.


2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

These cupcakes are super moist from all of the pumpkin. I think that I ate 6 in a row immediately after making them.

I am not sure anyway about the cupcake's place at the Thanksgiving table.

I made a lovely fall centerpiece that I will post pictures of ASAP with dried flowers. And, we will be using my Grandmother's lovely bavarian china, which should look nice as well.

No comments: